The bad breath, also known as halitosis, can often be embarrassing, and can ultimately affect our level of confidence and self-esteem. It can occur for many reasons, such as eating foods with a strong smell or taste, smoking, as a result of a dry mouth, due to medical conditions, gum diseases and mucous conditions.
However, the most common cause of bad breath is the bacteria that builds upon the tongue and between the teeth. It is essential to maintain good oral hygiene to control bad breath. Drinking the right amount of water throughout the day is also necessary to keep our breath fresh. In addition to water and proper oral care, some homemade and natural ingredients can help us treat bad breath more efficiently.
The 10 best natural ingredients that can help you fight bad breath:
The Fennel works as an excellent mouth freshener and helps control bad breath. It also contains antimicrobial properties that fight and eliminate oral bacteria.
- Chew a spoonful of fennel slowly to cool your breath and stimulate the production of saliva.
- You can also take fennel tea 1-2 times a day. To prepare the tea, add two small tablespoons of fennel in a cup of hot water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before starting to drink.
The Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that not only covers the bad breath, but it also reduces the number of bacteria in the mouth. To treat bad breath with cinnamon, we can follow this remedy twice a day.
- Boil a small spoonful of cinnamon powder in a glass of water.
- You can also add bay leaves and cardamom.
- Strain the solution once finished and use as a natural mouthwash to freshen breath.
Fenugreek tea is highly effective in combating bad breath when catarrhal infections cause it.
- Boil a small spoonful of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water.
- Strain the mixture and drink the tea once a day until the problem is finished.
The clove helps freshen the breath in addition to having very useful antibacterial properties when it comes to ending bad breath.
- The simplest method is to chew several pieces of cloves. That will eliminate bad breath in a few minutes.
- You can also prepare clove tea. For this, you have to boil a glass of water, add a small spoonful of clove and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. You can drink the tea or use it as mouthwash 2 times a day.
The Parsley contains chlorophyll, which helps neutralize bad breath.
- Just chew some fresh parsley to freshen the breath. You can also submerge it in vinegar and chew later.
- Another option is to add leaves of parsley in a crusher and make a juice. You can drink this juice every time you need to freshen our breath. It will also help in digestion.
6. Lemon juice
The lemon juice is a natural remedy that has been in use for generations to treat bad breath. The acid content of the lemon prevents the growth of bacteria in our mouth. Also, its strong and pleasant smell helps hide the bad smell.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice in a glass of water and rinse the mouth with the mixture. You can also add a little salt to the mix. This solution will help us solve the problem of dry mouth (one of the factors that contribute most to bad breath).
7. Apple cider vinegar
The cider vinegar Apple can balance the pH. Thanks to this property, apple cider vinegar is excellent for bad breath. You can try any of these remedies depending on our preference:
- Stir one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (unfiltered) in a glass of water. Drink the solution before meals.
- The vinegar will help in digestion in addition to fighting bad breath.
- You can also gargle with a mixture of a little apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
8. Baking soda
The bicarbonate is an excellent solution for both combat and prevents bad breath: It also helps to balance the levels of acids that contribute to bad breath. It also fights oral bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water to aid and use it as mouthwash once a day until you are satisfied with the results.
- You can also brush your teeth with bicarbonate, helping to reduce the acid in mouth and preventing the growth of new bacteria.
9. Tea tree oil
The oil Tea Tree has antiseptic properties that act as a powerful disinfectant for your mouth can use it in several ways:
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste that contains tea tree oil.
- You can also add two drops of tea tree oil to our brush along with our regular toothpaste.
- You can also mix a few drops of tea tree oil, with peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass of water, and use the mixture as the mouthwash.
The infusions and teas also help fight bad breath. The antioxidants present in green tea and black tea can slow the growth of bacteria responsible for bad breath.
If bad breath persists even after having tried these natural treatments, it is best to go to a doctor or dentist to see if there any severe problem that causes bad breath.